Although less celebrated than some of his better known giallo peers such as Dario Argento, Mario Bava and Sergio Martino, late producer-turned-director Luciano Ercoli contributed three hugely entertaining and memorable entries to the genre – including this, his 1971 sophomore effort, Death Walks on High Heels.
Spanish-born model and actress Nieves Navarro stars as Nicole, an exotic dancer who finds herself terrorized by a black-clad assailant determined on procuring her murdered father’s stolen gems. Fleeing Paris in hopes of evading her knife-wielding pursuer, Nicole arrives in England only to discover that death stalks her at every corner.
With the scene-stealing Navarro at its center, Death Walks on High Heels manages to subvert the conventions of the giallo film by having a ballsy, well-rounded female protagonist to root for – representing a welcome departure from the neurotic stereotypes found elsewhere within the genre.
• 2K restoration from the original camera negative
• Original Italian and English soundtracks in mono audio
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• Audio commentary by film critic Tim Lucas
• Introduction to the film by screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi
• From Spain with Love – featurette comprising newly-edited archive footage of director Luciano Ercoli and actress Nieves Navarro, interviewed at their home in Barcelona
• Master of Giallo – screenwriter Gastaldi on Death Walks on High Heels and how to write a successful giallo
• Death Walks to the Beat – a career-spanning interview with High Heels composer Stelvio Cipriani
• Original Italian and English Trailers
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx