The life of a beautiful, young and pious woman is thrown into chaos when her parents takes in a dashingly handsome lodger. Having embarked on a torrid affair, the lodger goes off to Rome to seek a divorce from his estranged wife.
Unable to live apart from her beloved, our hero leaves home only to fall prey to the infatuations and lusts of a band of noble admirers, unsavory criminals and utopian do-gooders…
The only feature Walerian Borowczyk (The Beast, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne) made in his native Poland, Story of Sin transforms Stefan Zeromski’s classic melodrama into a deliriously surrealistic meditation on l’amour fou.
• 2K restoration from the original film negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• New subtitle translation
• Audio Commentary by Sam Deighan and Kat Ellinger
• New 2K restorations from the original negatives of Borowczyk’s ground-breaking Polish shorts: Once Upon a Time (co-directed by Jan Lenica), Dom (co-directed by Lenica) and The School, with optional audio commentaries by art historian Szymon Bojko (Once Upon a Time), composer Wlodzimierz Kotonsk (Dom) and Daniel Bird (The School)
• New introduction by poster designer Andrzej Klimowski
• The First Sinner, a new interview with Story of Sin lead actor Grazyna Dlugolecka
• The Music Box, film critic and documentarian David Thompson on the use of classic music in Borowczyk's films
• Stories of Sin, a video essay by Daniel Bird (co-founder Friends of Walerian Borowczyk) concerning the director's obsessions
• Miscellaneous, a video essay on Borowczyk and Lenica's contributions to newsreels and documentaries on art history
• Street Art, a short news reel documentary about poster art co-written by Borowczyk
• Tools of the Trade, an interview with Juliusz Zamecznik, son of photographer and graphic artist Wojciech Zamecznik
• Poster Girl, an interview with poster artist, illustrator and print maker Theresa Byszewska, who appears (briefly) in Dom
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Andrzej Klimowski
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new and archival writing, including an exclusive interview with the producer of Story of Sin, director Stanislaw Rozewicz; a text by art historian and one-time Borowczyk collaborator, Szymon Bojko; and excerpts from Borowczyk’s memoirs presented in English for the first time.